Information sessions are being held across the central tablelands for individuals and organisations to have their say on the draft Central Tablelands Regional Strategic Pest Animal Management Plan.
The sessions are being hosted by the Central Tablelands Local Land Services this month.
The sessions will explain how the plan was developed, what it means for the region and how to provide input into the final plan.
According to the Natural Resources Commission the economic impact of wild rabbits, carp, pigs, foxes, dogs, goats and introduced birds had been estimated at $170 million in NSW, said Central Tablelands Local Land Services General Manager Chris Cumming.
“This plan sets the strategic direction for pest animal management in the region for the next five years and guides resourcing and investment dedicated to coordinated pest animal management,” Ms Cumming said.
“Pest animals pose significant threat to threatened species and ecological communities, with feral pigs alone impacting on 361 species and ecological communities listed as nationally threatened.”
The draft plan has been developed in collaboration with the Central Tablelands Regional Pest Animal Committee, said Central Tablelands Local Land Services Manager Biosecurity and Emergency Services Clare Hamilton.
Ms Hamilton said the plan prioritised pest animals in our region, based on the level of impact and outlined how government agencies, community groups and individual landholders would share responsibility and work together to prevent, eradicate, contain and manage the impacts of pest animals.
“The management of pest animals is a complex and challenging situation which cannot be ignored. We can only win the fight against pest animals by working in partnership,” she said.
“The consultation period is an opportunity for stakeholders, organisations and interested community members to provide feedback on the management of pest animals in our region and across the state.”
The sessions are:
- Friday 23 March | Cowra Saleyards - Young Road, Cowra | 10:30am – 1:30pm | Pop up stand.
- Monday 26 March | Club Mudgee - 99 Mortimer St, Mudgee | 5pm – 7pm | Information session.
- Tuesday 27 March | CTLLS office - 3 Ordnance Ave, Lithgow - | 10am – 2pm | Drop in any time.
- Tuesday 27 March | Oberon RSL Club – Cnr Dudley & Oberon St, Oberon | 5pm – 7pm | Information session.
- Wednesday 28 March | Central Tablelands Livestock Exchange, 4860 Mid Western Highway, Carcoar | 9am –12pm | Pop up stand.
- Wednesday 28 March | Molong RSL – 22-24 Riddell St, Molong | 5pm – 7pm | Information session.
Anyone who has a concern about pest animal management is encouraged to attend an information session and comment on the draft plan.
For more information, download a copy of the plan at www.lls.nsw.gov.au and have your say.
The plan will be on public exhibition until Friday, April 20 2018.