Warren man refused bail on firearm, pursuit charges

Dubbo Courthouse
Dubbo Courthouse

A 38-year-old man from Warren has been refused bail after appearing in Dubbo Local Court in relation to an alleged shooting and police pursuit in the town on Sunday.

Police will allege that at about 11.30am the man had a physical altercation with another man on a street in Warren. 

Shortly after the altercation the alleged assailant armed himself with a shotgun and fired into the yard of the other man. 

As a result of the fired round a 35-year-old man and a 35-year-old women were injured by shot pellets, with both suffering minor injuries.

It’s alleged the 38-year-old assailant then fled the scene in a motor vehicle, stilled armed with a loaded shotgun and commenced to drive about the Warren district.

Police were notified of the incident and numerous resources were directed to the town.

Patrolling police sighted the alleged assailant driving his motor vehicle about 20 kilometres west of the town.

The officers began to follow the assailant until he entered the township of Warren, at which point he sped off.

Police pursued for a short distance before terminating the pursuit in the interests of public safety.

A short time later the man was located near Warren Hospital, at which time police successfully arrested him without further incident.

A loaded shotgun was found in his vehicle at the time of his arrest.

The assailant was taken to Warren Police Station where criminal investigators interviewed him.

He was later charged with possess ammunition without holding licence, use unregistered firearm (not prohibited firearm), fire firearm at house with disregard for safety, discharge firearm with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, possess loaded firearm in a public place, drive motor vehicle while licence suspended, special category driver drive with special range PCA, police pursuit - not stop - drive dangerously, and was refused bail to appear at Dubbo Local Court.

The victims were both treated at Warren Hospital and later released.

On Monday the man appeared in front of Magistrate Gary Wilson, with no bail application made.

The matters were adjourned until May 23.