A FIREARM amnesty will be held from July 1 to September 30 in a bid to remove illegal guns.
Minister for Police Troy Grant said last year all Australian states participated in the National Firearms Amnesty and the response by NSW was outstanding.
“The NSW Police Force netted nearly 25,000 firearms from 7,277 individuals during the three month campaign,” said Mr Grant.
“Of those 14,745 firearms were registered, providing Police with critical information on each weapon including the serial number and the owner’s details.
“NSW residents have another chance to do the right thing and either surrender unwanted or prohibited weapons or become a responsible owner and register their firearm.
Deputy Commissioner Metropolitan Field Operations Jeff Loy, said there has been continued interest from the community to dispose of unwanted firearms without penalty.
“In 2017, we had nearly 8000 firearms handed in for destruction – including 951 handguns and 5558 shotguns – about 15,000 handed in for registration and 2100 handed in for sale,” Deputy Commissioner Loy said.