A humbled Trolley Man gets bail

Humbled by public generosity giving him the opportunity to turn his life around, 'Trolley Man' decided to face the music and turn himself in to police.

The next day, Michael Rogers sat in the dock at Melbourne Magistrates Court, facing theft and burglary charges.

He was bailed on the strict conditions that he stay away from the CBD, inside at night and report daily to police.

It has been a big week for the 46-year-old homeless man who bravely stepped in harm's way with a shopping cart to fend off IS-inspired Hassan Khalif Shire Ali then received donations of more than $155,000.

Just a day before the attack on Bourke Street, it's alleged Rogers broke into a CBD cafe and took $500 from the till.

He is also accused of a month earlier following someone into a St Kilda Road apartment building and stealing a racing bicycle.

It wasn't until Rogers was noticed by the public in social media videos, earning the moniker 'Trolley Man', that he came to the attention of police who announced they wanted to speak to him about the burglaries.

Rogers' lawyer Melinda Walker told Saturday's hearing her client had been "humbled" by the community's financial generosity, which compelled him to hand himself in to police the previous night.

Given his troubled life, marred by a long criminal history and drug addiction, throwing his hands up was a big deal.

"I have known this man for 20 years. He's never handed himself in to the police," Ms Walker said.

"This is a unique and incredible opportunity for this man to access supports that can only assist him to engage in meaningful rehabilitation," she told the court.

"That's what the community wanted when they gave him the money. They gave him the opportunity to turn his life around."

Police prosecutor Paul Bush opposed bail saying Rogers posed an unacceptable risk of reoffending and that his criminal "priors" spoke for themselves.

Magistrate Bob Kumar gave Rogers bail on strict conditions that he stay away from the CBD and reside with relatives in an outer suburb, observe a 9pm to 6am curfew, participate in drug and counselling programs and report daily to police.

He is also now on a court support program which gives him access to drug support services and counselling.

Mr Kumar acknowledged there was "always a risk" of reoffending.

The court heard Rogers would not have free access to the thousands of dollars donated to him.

Donna Stolzenberg from National Homelessness Collective said her organisation would help him put it in a trust fund.

Rogers' case returns to court on November 27.

Australian Associated Press