#COVID19 #coronaaustralia: Jenolan Caves is closed to tourists, again

Jenolan Caves closed to tourists three times in three months
Photo: JENOLAN CAVES
Jenolan Caves closed to tourists three times in three months Photo: JENOLAN CAVES

JENOLAN Caves has been closed for the third time to tourists so far this year.

The world-famous caves site has now fallen victim to bans surrounding non-essential gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic and was closed on Sunday until further notice.

This comes following a bushfire emergency that threatened the historic site in late 2019/early 2020, which destroyed a number of buildings in the precinct.

Then, in early February, heavy rains caused flash flooding and the site was closed again.

Jenolan Caves' website said this latest closure was to help control the spread of COVID-19.

"Australians have been asked to strongly reconsider all non-essential travel," a post to its website said.

"Therefore, we have temporarily closed our cave tours, hotel, restaurant and cafe, until further notice.

"We apologise for any inconvenience caused by our temporary closure."

The website said gift vouchers for cave tours and accommodation could still be purchased and they were valid for three years.

Anyone with enquiries is urged to call Jenolan Caves on 1300 763 311.

Love local news?

Why not subscribe, the first 30 days of full website access is free.

What do you think?