Western Sydney Wanderers forward Simon Cox will miss the birth of his first child next month after deciding to remain with the A-League club rather than return to the UK.
Cox's partner is due to give birth next month and given the quarantining required, it would be difficult for the striker to travel to the UK, then return and get back up to speed football-wise.
The 33-year-old said remaining with the Wanderers, where he is contracted until the end of the season, was the best option for him and his family whom he hopes to bring to Australia as soon as possible.
"It's been a difficult six months with my missus due on February 11 and the way the world is at the minute, it's not as if I can just hop on a plane and head home, then hop back," Cox said.
"It's been a decision that I have not taken lightly, I had to talk to numerous people and we've decided that I'm going to stay which is good news for me in terms of football but I'm going to miss the birth of my first child.
"The club have been great so far and we're looking to get her (my partner) out here as quick as possible.
"The closer the season got to starting, the closer the baby got to coming, so I'm doing what is best for football as well as what is best for my family.
"So hopefully this decision for myself allows everyone to be on the same page so we can go from here and get moving in the right direction."
Wanderers chief executive John Tsatsimas lauded Cox's decision to stay, while the club said it would continue to support the striker and his family.
The Republic of Ireland international scored three goals in 12 A-League games last season but is yet to score in his first three outings this campaign.
Australian Associated Press